Saturday, August 3, 2024

Promise with an Oath

In Matthew 14:7, Herod the tetrarch gave a promise with an oath to the daughter of Hero'dias "to give whatever she might ask". As we all very well know, she asked for the head of John the Baptist to be given to her on a platter.

Such horrific request born out of anger to a man who has exposed the truth came into play because of a promise with an oath that has to be fulfilled.

The learning lessons of this story is about lust and anger that could lead to the destruction of life but on the other side, it also pictures the corrupt use of power and authority by a king or a ruler whose promise with an oath is absolute regardless of consequences.

As we all know, Jesus is the King of all Kings and such words by Herod seem to echo what the Lord said in Matthew 7:7, "Ask and it will be given to you".

Obviously, it would be absurd for us to ask the Lord for the head of those who have angered us or have caused much pain to us but ironically, in the depths of our innermost thoughts, we wanted Him to do so. Out of vengeance, we want God to punish our enemies!

If the Lord knows that what we are asking for will not be good for us, will he still give it out of a promise with an oath?



Lord Jesus, I believed in the words you said that whatever I ask in your name, it will be given. Such promise I claim today in the light of the learning lessons I received from you.

While it is true that those who have caused me great pains have triggered my anger, I still stand by the peace and the love that you have brought into my heart. Please forgive me for any outburst of emotions that have led me to sin as I also ask that you forgive those who had sought me harm. Bring us all back to the true essence of your love so that we may all live in harmony and peace.

I also humbly ask that you give all of my heart's desires so that as you have said, "my joy will be complete and full in every way".

I give you back all the glory and praises, now and forever. Amen.


PUBLISHED:
August 05, 2023, 10:01 AM
July 31, 2010, 11:12 A.M.

No comments:

"Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me; for he who is least among you all is the one who is great" (Luke 9:48).